"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Rollercoaster of Adoption!

Cole hanging with his buddies doing some Man's work!

              
 
Don’t get me wrong, I love adoption and I really want all the children in orphanages and foster homes around the world to have homes.  But one thing I underestimated was how hard it can be.  As I type this, I would even love to do it again!  Adoption is a rollercoaster of emotions, starting with the paper chase and waiting to get your child.  One day you feel great and you can conquer the world to the next day hour wondering what you did to your family and this poor child who you only wanted to help, but they don’t want your help.  So here are some of the difficult lessons I have learned… Now I know not everyone deals with these in adoption.  But I have seen a lot of other parents go through these and so much more, so I know I am not aloneJ

 

1)       Adoption is much more difficult than having bio children.  I had a tough time when I had my first daughter.  There was the hormone issues, being tired all day, and not knowing how to take care of a baby.  It seems I have had all those issues on top of the fact that Cole is a two year old with a history of pain and hurt that will take a lifetime of work to heal. 

2)       At some point in your adoption your child that you want to help and love will reject you.  How could they not with all the hurt they already have in their short lives.  Even when you know it can happen, it does not feel good and it is not easy to take.    Cole will want to curl up into a fetus position and cry on his own.  I have to force myself on him and make him let me hold him.  He will push away, hit, try to scratch my face and kick.  There is a part of me that wants to put him down and move on with my own life.  Fine!  If he does not want me then I won’t force it.  But that is what I can’t do.   I have to hold him through it all and show love through it all.  He does not know how to handle his own emotions and this is the way he has learned to survive.   Also, it took Dan a month before Cole would go to him.  We called it Groundhog Day, after that movie where every day is the same and you are starting at one all over again. 

3)      You must put aside all of your own needs, your spouse’s needs, and other family member needs aside for a short time.  And they all have to be patient as you do this.  Again, I can’t say it enough, you are not adopting a child, you are adopting a person with their own personality that you had nothing to do with molding into who they are.   A person who has had more hurts in their little life than most people do in a lifetime, and someone who did not ask for you.  You are not superman coming to save the day in this little person’s life.  You are a stranger who has stolen them from the only life they have ever known.  You smell funny, look funny, and talk funny.  I felt bad but for a while, I could not be the Mom my girls needed because I had to help Cole with everything.  I thank God that they were patient and understanding but it was still hard.

4)      Even when things are going great…they are not.  We have had a great smooth adoption I thank God for.  But since Cole’s surgery there has been some really hard times.  He wants to cry and throw fits on his own but I can’t let him.  I have to hold him through it.  He has lost the only coping ability he had.  Sucking his three fingers and playing with his belly button.  Because he cannot suck his fingers, he can’t go to sleep.  It is now an hour long battle or more each night.  And he now has night terrors and will cry and thrash throughout his sleep. 

5)      You can’t be selfish.  I did not realize how selfish I was until recently.  I like my creature comforts and my sleep.  I like to have me time and I really like to have no one else in the bathroom with meJ.  This has been a battle for me.  I hate wearing shoes in the house.  I don’t find it comfortable and would rather just wear socks.  But I have a little man in the house who must have went to an orphanage or foster home that shoes were most important.  He will make me wear my shoes and that is the first thing he wants on when he wakes up.  You may be asking how a two year old makes a grown woman wear shoes.  It is simple…perseverance.  He will follow me around the house with my shoes screaming and crying at me if I don’t put them on.  I will explain to him Mommy does not need shoes and yet he insists.  So know I oblige him and just suffer with the shoes.  It is not worth the battle at 7 in the morning and I can get to that first cup of coffee so much sooner and quieter. 

6)      You cannot go off on how you feel.  Due to lack of sleep I have been very emotional and moody.  I want to just sit in a dark room and cry.  I would probably just fall asleep if I did that thoughJ.  I can’t let that affect my parenting or how I treat my husband.  Do I fail?  Absolutely!  But I must remind myself that life is not about emotions and that I must continue no matter how I feel. 

7)      You must be willing to sacrifice.  That clean house you always wanted?  Hah!  That new sports car (sorry Dan not going to happen!).  Makeup on, your hair done, clothes that look great and match.  Hmmm  Nope.

8)      Piggy backing on the last one…forget the idea of a clean house.  If your friends judge you on it, they can clean it themselves.  J  I am busy shaping a life, comforting a child and teaching a child what love is and I don’t have time for laundry or clean dishes.   He follows me ever where and wants me to pay attention to him at all times.  And you know what!  He deserves that because he did not have his Mama for two years!  We are making up for lost time here.  Now for those of you worrying…

9)      You must still discipline but you have to learn a whole new way of doing it.  With my girls if they were disobedient I spanked them(please don’t go into debate on whether spanking is good or not).  I can’t do that with Cole (not yet anyway..hehe).  Just kidding.  I am trying to teach him trust, respect and love because he does not already have that skill like my girls did.  I am trying to teach him the difference of what a Mama and a care giver is.  There is a fragile bond there.  So instead of spanking or time outs we have to do time ins.  Where he is forced to be with me.  You know some people would consider that cruel and unusual punishment in itself…lol.  I am still learning how to discipline him and it is hard!

10)   You have to have perseverance.  You can’t give up no matter how much you want to.  Each and every day is a new start and a new day! 

11)   You must forgive yourself for past mistakes and thoughts you have.  There is a huge learning curve here and you can’t beat yourself up.  Your child is in a better place than where they come from no matter how much you feel like you are failing.  And we all have had negative thoughts but you can’t let them rule your life and you can’t dwell on them.  You must move on.

12)   I need the Lord every second, minute, and hour of everyday!  I could not get through this without Him.  I thank Him for all the lessons he is teaching me with the adoption of Cole.  I believe he is making me a better person, mother and wife.  It has not been easy but usually the best things in life are not easy.  Even in my darkest hours I need to remind myself that I am blessed and that I have a great life!   I have hope and salvation!  And if Cole can learn about the love and salvation of Christ, then every hardship will be worth it!  I praise God through the storms of life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment