"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Orphanage visit

It was a huge debate on whether we should visit the orphanage or not.  We did not want to do anything to hurt our relationship that we had been building with Cole but also did not want to miss an opportunity.  After some very helpful people who had been here before gave some great advice, we decided to go visit the orphanage.  I was nervous a little but not much.  I was not sure what to expect. 

 We first got there we were showed around a little.  They have a toddler room and I asked why all those kids were not in foster care like Cole.  Our guide told us the reason was because there were not enough foster parents for all the kids who need one.  The special needs kids like Cole who needed more one on one got foster parents first. 


Not the greatest of pictures but this is for Jane.  Jane is a another adoptive Mom who is waiting to get her little one.  She is with the same agency as us.  She asked us if we could take a care package to her little girl and I was very happy too!  This is us delivering it to the orphange and them promising to give it to her.  :)

I am going to ask that the rest of the pictures I am going to show never be reproduced or used.  I just put that up as precautionary because there has been problems in the past with people using pictures and the government finding out and then not allowing other parents to take pictures.
We were told to not take pictures expecially in the baby room but while in there the nannies   recognized Cole and started to ohh and ahh over him.  I found out that he had spent the first year of his life in this small room with at least 20 babies if not more.  I asked them if I could take their picture for Cole in the future and they said yes.


After this we were taken to the foster parents apartment and they were not there.  They get one day off a week and this happened to be that day.  I was sad at first that we could not meet the foster Mom but I think God knew what he was doing.  Cole totally reacted when we went into the apartment but he did not want down and the helper Nannie (who watches the kids when the foster parents have a day off) was there but he did not want her.  He seemed very content to stay with me which made me feel really good and that we were doing the right thing. 

I am unable to post anymore pictures so I will continue on another post.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you soooooooooo much for delivering the photo book especially. I am so glad you were able to see the orphanage, it is a window into Cole's past life. Yes, too bad about not being able to see the foster parents, hopefully they had at least a picture of them for you to see.

    Cole is so big (looking at the previous posting) A good sign that he was well loved by his foster parents (we were told by our adoption pediatrician, as cleft babies take a long time to get the hang of feeding.)

    I love the carrier that keeps him right there so close... (I will soon be asking you advice on things like that!)

    SO happy to hear how well Cole is attaching!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you were able to get pictures of the caregivers! You will treasure those photos and they will be important for Cole. And YAY for how well your bonding is going! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rebecca!!! Jane I love, love, love the ergo carrier! I was afraid at first to try and put a two year old in it because I would have never put my two year old kids in it. But it was a much different situation. He loves it. Whenever I start to put it on he comes over with arms up wanting to go in it and if while out I start to take it off so we both can breath a little he cries. It has helped so much with bonding. I think he feels secure in it and knows we can't leave him. Plus, he falls asleep in all the time so he is able to get a nap while we are out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you decided to go and that it went so well. I hope you are enjoying GZ...I admit the heat is not my friend. Thank goodness for air conditioning and pools.

    I think travel from Province to GZ may actually be one of the harder parts of the trip...I was not prepared for it. Granted flying home will be LONG, but the flight to GZ happens right as they are settling in. Friday was definitely our worst day of the trip so far...and our daughter did really well all things considering.

    Hope the rest of your week goes well. Glad your VPN is still working :)

    Nora

    ReplyDelete